Parent Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do to help my child have a great camp experience?
- If possible, visit the camp ahead of time to familiarise your child with the campgrounds, cabins and other
general surroundings. Remove this line
- Consider arranging a first-time camper to attend with a close friend, relative, or camp “buddy”.
- Do not tell your child in advance that you will “rescue” him/her from camp if he/she does not like it.
- Discuss what camp will be like well before your child leaves home, acknowledging feelings; role-play anticipated
camp situationssuch as using a flashlight to finding the bathroom.
- Send a letter to the Registrar for your child before camp begins so he/she will have a letter waiting for his/her arrival.
- Allow your child to pack a favourite stuffed animal and/or picture so he/she will have a reminder of home.
How do I Handle Homesickness?
- Talk candidly with the Program Director to obtain his/her perception of your child’s adjustment.
- Resist the temptation to “rescue” your child.
- Acknowledge your child’s feelings and communicate your love.
- Support your child’s efforts to work out the problems with the help of
- Remind him/her, if necessary, that he/she has made a commitment.
- Trust your instincts; the occasional child who is truly having a difficult adjustment should be allowed to return home after a reasonable amount of time and effort.
What are the Fees and are there Refunds?
The $50 deposit is non-refundable. The balance of the camper fee is due the day of registration for that confirmed camp or if paying by PayPal, payment is made at the time of registration. If your child is unable to attend please cancel within 10 days of the confirmed camp by calling the Registrar Laura Nelson, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone: 250-428-9048. In this way, that spot may then be available for another camper.
Is there assistance towards helping with registration fees?
We don’t want any camper to miss the opportunity to attend camp because of the cost so we have some funds available for CAMPERSHIP grants. Campership donations are tax receptible.
If you require assistance please contact the registrar at email@example.com or Laura Nelson, phone: 250-428-9048.
The $50 registration fee is not covered by any CAMPERSHIP grants.
If you have a campership grant, you need to still pay the $50 Deposit for each camper attending camp. Please GO HERE to pay the deposit.
What is the policy on Cabin Mates?
Cabin assignments are made by the staff, prior to the start of each session. We will try, whenever possible, to honour the request of up to two friends wanting to bunk together, if the request is made with pre-registration.
What are the guidelines for Phone Calls?
The campers are encouraged not to use the phone other than for emergencies. If an emergency arises at home, please contact the Kitchen @ 250-225-3415 and they will see the message gets to the camper to return your call.
Do I send food with my child?
Please do not send food to camp with your child. We serve them three hearty meals a day plus afternoon and evening snacks plus TUCK (canteen) times. Food in the cabins encourages unwanted guests! (Kootenay Camp is home to many kinds of wildlife). If your child has special dietary needs, please let us know on the registration form.
Are there family discounts?
A $25 discount per child is available for families sending two or more children.
How much money should my child take to Camp?
Money for a Missionary
What are the guidelines for valuables at Camp?
There is no facility on the camp premises to store valuable items. We encourage all campers to leave electronic devices at home. Any other valuable items can be at risk of loss or misplacement and the Camp is not responsible for these items.
What is there to do?
Swimming, Canoeing, Lots of great games, Archery, Skits, Crafts, Singing, Talent Nights, making friends, SUPER SURPRISE Activities, and much more.
Who can come?
Junior Camp: Children ages 8-12 by September 30th”
How do I Sign Up?
Fill out the Registration form either online and pay by Credit Card or with PayPal. You will receive confirmation upon receipt.
What if I lose or break my stuff?
Sorry, KCBC is not responsible for any lost, broken, or stolen items.
What to leave home?
- Collector/Trading Items
- Card Games
- Cell Phones
What is the time schedule?
A complete time schedule will be posted at the camp. Campers should arrive between
What to bring to Camp?
- Clothes for all types of weather
- Running Shoes
- Sleeping bag/Blankets
- Soap and Shampoo
- Two Towels/Washcloth
- Swim Shoes
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Rain Gear
- Insect Repellent
- A friend!
What if my child is caught with Drugs, Alcohol, or Tobacco on the camp property?
Your child will be sent home immediately.